Desert Locust-Schistocerca gregaria

I identified the locust species below to be a Desert Locust (Schistocerca gregaria). If my identification is wrong feel free to correct me. The desert locust is a species of short-horned grasshoppers in the family Acrididae. They are potential  pest of agriculture crops and can damage the crops in a large scale particularly when they form swarms. Personally I never observed their swarm, however I heard my elders talking about locust swarms in our area and their large scale damage to agriculture crops and even trees. Their controlling method was very interesting. To control the locusts the whole community used to work together. Initially they used to dig a large pit and then used to direct the locust swarm toward the pit. After collecting a large number of locusts in the pit, they used to fill the pits with excavated earth.

Desert Locust (Schistocerca gregaria) Nymph
Desert Locust (Schistocerca gregaria) Adult

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...